The Humanities and Social Studies Education (HSSE) Academic Group was constituted on 1 July 2000 from an amalgamation of the former Divisions of Geography and History. As one of 12 Academic Groups, HSSE is committed to playing a significant role in supporting NIE's vision as a teacher education institute of distinction. The academic group is primarily responsible for the professional preparation and development of teachers in the following subject areas primary and secondary social studies, geography, history, economics, elements of office administration, accounting.
HSSE has a staff of highly committed and talented individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences in education, geography, history, economics, political science and international relations. We aim to provide:
- high quality, relevant and up-to-date pedagogy courses at both preservice and inservice levels;
- up-to-date content courses in geography, history and social studies to support the professional training of teachers;
- interesting and relevant courses to NTU undergraduates from the other Schools in broadening and enriching their undergraduate curriculum;
- graduate programmmes (MA, MEd, PhD) in the disciplines of history and geography and in the fields of geography education, history education and social studies education; and
- consultancy services to schools, educational institutions, and other public and private agencies in Singapore and the regions beyond.
We are committed to exploring new, innovative and alternative ways in delivering subject matter content in the humanities and social sciences such as problem-based learning and e-learning. We seek to develop best practices as we collaborate in partnerships with schools and teachers.
We engage in both educational and discipline-related research to meet the needs of teachers in the knowledge-based economy of the 21st century.